A home’s ceiling could put owners at risk of asbestos exposure

On Behalf of | Jun 5, 2019 | Asbestos Exposure & Claims

Many Ohio homebuyers believe that older homes were built to last and have a certain charm. That may be true, but older homes may also contain building materials that builders no longer use due to their toxic nature. For instance, “popcorn” or “cottage cheese” ceilings could put those who live in the home at risk for asbestos exposure, especially if they attempt to remove the materials on their own.

The materials used to create these textured ceilings often included asbestos up through the early 1990s. This substance used to be in a variety of products because of its nonflammable properties, durability and low cost, among other things. The problem with the material is that it is toxic when its fibers or dust becomes airborne. For this reason, a popcorn ceiling could be an illness waiting to happen.

These days, many people no longer like the look of these textured ceilings, so they remove them during renovation. If they, or their contractors, are not careful, the toxic material could be released into the air, which could cause significant harm to those exposed. The problem is that it could take decades to know whether the exposure could lead to an asbestos-related illness, most of which are not curable, chronic and deadly.

In some cases, it may be possible to hold one or more parties responsible for the asbestos exposure suffered by a homeowner. Whether a legal claim is appropriate depends on several factors. The pursuit of restitution under these circumstances could be lengthy and complex, so it would be better to consult with an Ohio attorney experienced in this area of law instead of attempting to go it alone.


What to do after a mesothelioma diagnosis
How to fund the war against opioid addiction in your community