Ohio residents who work in farming may have access to paraquat. Paraquat is commonly used, but it’s very dangerous to your health.
Paraquat is a common herbicide
Paraquat is a common herbicide that is commonly used by farmers to kill weeds. Although it has been allowed for use in the United States, it is restricted by the Environmental Protection Agency because it is a toxic chemical and is known to be harmful to both humans and animals. Only licensed farmers have access to its use. Paraquat is not available for use in residential areas for everyday use.
How does paraquat affect you?
Paraquat use can lead to poisoning even with careful usage. A single teaspoon could even cause death. It can result in adverse effects when it gets in direct contact with the skin or if it’s inhaled or ingested. In any of those situations, the chemical can damage the body’s cells and affect the lungs, kidneys and liver.
If paraquat is inhaled, it can build up in the lungs, causing fluid build-up, difficulty breathing, scarring and internal bleeding. It can lead to multiple organ failure and death. Cardiogenic failure, which causes the heart to fail pumping blood to the other organs of the body, can occur. Other symptoms include blood clots, low blood pressure, cell death and dehydration.
The first area of the body affected by paraquat poisoning is the digestive system. Usually, symptoms will start in the mouth and include pain and swelling, sores on the tongue, bleeding and vomiting.
Paraquat has also been linked to certain types of cancers. As a result, there have been lawsuits filed against the manufacturers of the toxic chemical. Victims who have been exposed to paraquat and subsequently diagnosed with cancer are entitled to recover damages.
Anyone exposed to paraquat should seek immediate medical attention by going to the nearest emergency room.