When a building is on fire, it releases gases, fumes and debris into the air. One of the substances that could end up in the air is asbestos. As most people know, exposure to this particular substance is toxic and can cause untreatable diseases such as mesothelioma over time. This makes fires on older buildings here in Ohio and elsewhere much more dangerous than many thought.
For instance, a recent factory fire in another state raised concerns of asbestos traveling a substantial distance from the location where the fire was raging. People who were not even near the fire could end up being exposed to this toxic substance. Of course, the firefighters battling the blaze have no choice but to do their jobs despite the fact they end up exposed to numerous toxins, including this one.
The chunks of debris were large enough that officials warned the public not to touch them. Instead, anyone finding anything from the fire was urged to contact the local authorities in Shelton, Connecticut. The appropriate parties will retrieve them. Even so, this may not be enough to keep people safe since dust and other particles were also airborne.
It is easy for people here in Ohio and elsewhere to forget about the dangers surrounding asbestos when the substance is contained within the products in which it was placed during the manufacturing process. However, when something such as a fire releases the toxic particles and dust into the air, anyone within its vicinity could suffer from exposure. Unfortunately, it could be decades before they know whether it was enough to cause an asbestos-related disease.