Though the incident did not occur in Ohio, a recent wrongful death lawsuit highlights the ongoing tragedies that asbestos leaves in its wake. A grieving family was awarded a $13 million judgement after the death of their loved one from cancer caused by asbestos exposure. The man was apparently exposed to asbestos because of a sugar refinery owned by Hillshire Brands Company.
As one of the nation's largest producers of metal, rubber and plastics appliances and products, Ohio had a notoriously high use of asbestos throughout the factories and plants due to the manufacturing processes. Decades later this has translated into a disproportionately high number of deaths from mesothelioma and other types of cancer related to asbestos exposure. Sadly, Ohio is not alone in this tragic predicament.
Ignorance, they say, is bliss. Unfortunately, many residents of Ohio don't have the luxury of such ignorance when it comes to asbestos exposure and the cancer that often results. Because of the historical prevalence of asbestos in the manufacturing plants and industrial factories that covered the state, far too many individuals and their families are intimately familiar with the long-term health hazards of this carcinogenic substance.
For many industrial workers in Ohio, exposure to asbestos occurred on a daily basis for decades, both before and, unfortunately, even after the hazards of the substance were known. Today, an alarming number of individuals continue to pay the price for this when they develop mesothelioma, a deadly cancer that results from asbestos exposure. While Ohio is a state with many asbestos-related deaths, its residents are sadly not alone in their plight.
The state of Ohio does have an unfortunately high number of deaths resulting from exposure to asbestos. Sadly, it is a problem that stretches across the country. In another state, a woman recently filed a lawsuit after her husband's death from lung cancer related to asbestos exposure. In the complaint, the woman names a total of 136 companies she claims are responsible.
While Ohio has a significant amount of legal cases involving asbestos due in part to a heavy history of manufacturing within the state, they are by no means alone in this issue. A family in another state is fighting an ongoing court battle after a man died of mesothelioma, a type of cancer that the family complains he contracted after asbestos exposure. This particular case is even more complex than some, however, because the area where the man worked during the alleged exposure is different from the state in which he resided at the time.
Ohio has traditionally been one of the largest manufacturers of plastics, metal products, appliances and rubber in the country. Historically, the manufacturing processes for these materials tended to involve the use of asbestos for insulation, which in turn resulted in a disproportionately high incidence of mesothelioma and cancer deaths linked to asbestos exposure. Ohio is by no means alone regarding incidents of asbestos-related illness, however.
Findings from an analysis by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control could prove worrying for residents of Ohio and others across the nation. The CDC found that each year thousands of people are still dying from mesothelioma, a type of cancer associated with asbestos inhalation. This despite the fact that the material has been under regulation for decades to try to curb the fatalities associated with exposure to the dangerous material.
Companies in Ohio and across the nation should be reasonably responsible for the safety of their employees. Sometimes, of course, a worker is injured or becomes ill due to a simple oversight or laxity on the part of an employer, and while this is still unacceptable, it is far less upsetting than cases of blatant disregard for employee well-being. A recent case of asbestos litigation in another state demonstrated just such an instance of disregard after a company letter surfaced that demonstrated both knowledge and indifference in regard to the link between asbestos exposure and the resultant increased risk of cancer to employees.